Monday, June 17, 2013

A Vulture's Foul Feast

A few days ago as I was arriving home, I noticed a large group of visitors near the river. I couldn't help but to be a little curious about what attracted them. After my son drifted off into his much needed nap, I stepped out to see what the vultures were up to. The time I spent with these grotesque guests was all that I expected it might be...visually and olfactorily offensive. The American Black Vulture....its not so pretty...


...even when its young.


Carrion, it's what's for dinner! The large group of Black Vultures had gathered together to dine upon a washed up, deceased Armadillo. Unlike Turkey Vultures who use their very keen sense of smell, Black Vultures find their meals via sight. I have to think they were able to smell this decaying critter though. It took me a few days to get the smell out of my nose! (And they got quite a bit closer than I did)


Who would have though that a dead animal would get away...


...not for long!


Nope, not gonna share! These vultures are quite vicious towards one another when they are dining or even just waiting for a turn. There was quite a bit of squabbling going on as one vulture monopolized the meal for quite some time.


Juvenile vultures-in-training...


The most attentive student!


Snuggles with Mom...an almost cute vulture photo!


26 comments:

  1. Great set Tammy. Bet that was a great sight to watch in the wild. They look common there, what the UK would do for a wild one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think these birds are beautiful, actually (and i know i'm in the minority). you got some fabulous shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty awesome! I never knew that about the difference between Turkeys and Blacks, so thanks for the info. Great shots, glad you braved the smell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing set of pics Tammy, I have to agree, not the most attractive of birds, but at least they do a good disposal job.
    All the best, and take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. dat is fantastisch zo,n mooie serie je moet er toch aardig dichtbij geweest zijn het zal er niet fris hebben geroken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tammy !
    Good to see that the nature can clean up without our help, good captures again from your camera. Have some nice summer days !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola Tammy magnifico reportaje de este famoso buitre americano que siempre esta detras y como siempre oportunista de alguna carroña.Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous series Tammy. I guess only a mother could love a face like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tammy excelent captures.. This vulture is so peculiar for me.. Congrats and regards

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uff Tammy brutales tus imágenes son una maravilla

    Un saludo desde Extremadura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm...well certainly not the most beautiful bird but beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? LOL!
    Great shots!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buenísimas fotos como siempre Tammy. Yo tuve la suerte de observar estos buitres en mi viaje a Venezuela y me llamó la atención lo diferentes que son de sus "primos" europeos.
    Saludos!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some terrific shots Tammy. The sanitary crew on duty, if what they do wasn't so vulgar I think they would be appreciated much more. The detail and quality of your images are quite wonderful, detail in blacks can be difficult. Oh... I kind of like these creatures, they have their own style of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing series, Tammy!
    Beautiful blog! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This, I haven't seen before, you were lucky and got some great pictures. Enjoyed the whole series.

    Ottar

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these birds, I'm glad you made a good series of shots portraying their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos, they have thoroughly given me the creeps, can't quite shake off the feeling of a bad omen. On a nicer note, thank you Tammy for your thoughtful comments on my blog, they are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a beautiful person, what a special set. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you got some great pictures of the vultures. I've tried and tried to get some decent shots while visiting in TX, but my camera just isn't up to the task. Super series of one ugly bird!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Even though it seems gross, they do serve a purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the vultures are amazing, so glad they are around to clean up! Great photos and post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A bird that could use the catchphrase "I don't get no respect!"

    A line Rodney Dangerfield used as part of his shtick.

    The photos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hahaha!
    On last pics they look like they are going to decide what to do with you!! LOL!!!
    I agree they don't look great but nearly all vultures are like that, except the Bearded Vulture and the Condor!
    Lovely post, Tammy, sorry I commented so late but I have been quite busy... Like many I guess!
    Cheers and happy photography!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Although they are not the prettiest birds on the block, they do a fantastic job of cleaning up a neighborhood.
    Great shots Tammy.

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate your comments!